Check out this new Learnboard with a step by step guide to conquering RC once and for all!
Step 1 — To start, here’s the mandatory books you’ll need to get:
- GMAT Official Guide – 13th edition
- GMAT Official Guide – Verbal review, 2nd edition
You’ll want to know the RC questions in this book backwards, forwards, and upside down.
Other books with lots of passages to practice:
- Veritas Prep – Reading Comprehension Guide
- Manhattan GMAT – RC Strategy Guide
- Artistotle Prep – RC Grail
Step 2 — Read The Economist, or other high-quality publications!
The Economist is a weekly newspaper focusing on international politics and business news. Not only is its subject-matter right up GMAT’s alley, but its written in a more advanced vernacular than your average newspaper — a level matched by the GMAT RC.
As you read these articles, do the following:
- Circle the topic
- Underline any transition words
- Write down the purpose of each paragraph
- Write down the author’s point of view in your own words
- Write down the Main Idea in your own words
Do all of this to build your RC skills — ALWAYS read with a pen in your hand, and always ask the million dollar question, “Why is the author saying this?”
Fun fact: You can use your Delta Skymiles for a free subscription. 3,200 miles gives you 51 issues!
For Steps 3 through 7, check out How to Destory GMAT Reading Comp (once and for all)!